Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!"

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Food! My Favorite Thing!

Jennifer tagged me with a Restaurant Meme. And then I got tagged by new blog friend Carly for the same meme. Which means I need to get my head out of my behind and actually do some blogging. I could use the excuse that I needed to think about this one for a while but let's face it...this meme was made for me. Food is one of my most favorite things in the world. I love to eat. I love the tastes and scents and textures of good food. I love food in courses or on the run, snacks and full-blown entrees. I adore buffets and brunch, sit-down dinners and drive-thru grub. I love food. Unfortunately time and money limits me to chain restaurants and fast food far too often. But if I had the resources, I would eat much more extravagantly than Brooklyn Bagels and The Olive Garden. I know what I like to eat most of all and where to get what I like so this meme is a piece of cake. Mmmmm cake....

The rules:
1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the state and country you’re in.


Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
Velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
J (California, USA)
CuriosityKiller (Hong Kong, SAR)
Shelli (Minnesota, USA)
Lynda (Indiana, USA)
Jennifer (Texas, USA)
Carly (Vancouver, Canada)
Vegas Princess (Nevada, USA)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location (locally).

Circo in the Bellagio - Charming and I only ate here once because it is insanely expensive. The night we dined was the final game of the World Series in 2004 and the Red Sox were due to win. Even though it was our anniversary and we had reservations, I was glued to the TV in the bar. We were seated and I kept popping up to check the score and cheer. When we ordered it was in the final moments of the game and suddenly our entrees were ready but we couldn't leave to eat at such a pivotal point, so the waiter kept our meals under the warmer for us until the Red Sox won. And the food was still fabulous! Perhaps I liked this place so much because I coincide our experience with breaking the Curse of the Bambino, something I had been waiting for all my life. But the food was great and the view spectacular. The restaurant overlooks the front fountain pool so when the choreographed fountain dances happen every fifteen minutes you have a front row seat. Plus we got a free chocolate mousse for our anniversary and any sort of chocolate, free or not, is fabulous.

Twin Creeks Steakhouse in the Silverton - Since Charming works at the Silverton and he is such a fabulous employee, he constantly receives gift certificates to use at any of the restaurants in the casino. And we use every certificate at Twin Creeks. We have eaten there no less than five times (I have lost count) and every meal has been fantastic. Charming loves the Alaskan King Crab legs (makes him appreciate watching Deadliest Catch on Discovery) and fillet while I love the salmon, lobster tails and of course their dessert cart. It is our favorite place to dine that is fancy but not too expensive.

Half Shell - I was so excited when we finally got a good seafood restaurant in the area. Since I am a huge seafood snob (having grown up with summers on Cape Cod and the shores of Maine where we caught our own clams and lobsters and ate them fresh each night) it is difficult for me to enjoy my favorite food when I know it is shipped in on a truck from the west coast. Some may say their is no difference, but I can taste it. So for the last three and a half years I have stayed away from eating seafood, except at Twin Creeks who does a good job appeasing my palate, and waited until trips back to the east coast to indulge in this delicacy. Thankfully, Half Shell fits my high standards and delivers some of the best seafood I have had 3000 miles from the ocean I know. The decor is fun with huge fish tanks over the bar and an excellent outdoor patio that has a kick ass view of the Strip.

Tinoco's Bistro - I stumbled upon this hidden treasure in Vegas' Art District when I was wandering aimlessly around the streets near my work. It was soon after I was hired and I didn't know the area where the station is located very well and got a tiny bit turned around. Thankfully, I found this little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that has become one of my new favorite places to turn to when I need something for dinner during work. The pasta is to die for, with helpings big enough to carry over into the next day. I absolutely go ga-ga for their chicken, artichoke and mushroom dish with bow tie pasta and a creamy garlic sauce. I have never sat inside since I am always picking up take-out, but the cozy little dining area is adorable with private booths and circular tables, all snug together in a room about the size of a trolley car. Plus it is in the Art District so it is decorated with cool and funky art pieces that one can purchase. I keep meaning to take Charming there some day.

Buffalo Wild Wings - The other thing I am really picky about, other than seafood, are chicken wings. Since I have a tender tummy most BBQ sauces are too strong and spicy for me to handle. While in college I feel in love with this wing place in the funky neighborhood of Coventry called BW3's. Their honey BBQ wings were just the thing for me and I could eat a whole bucketful. Imagine my delight of finding out they changed their name and one was opening near our house! I have only had the wings at this new one but if they are any indication of what the rest of their menu is like, this place is so worth it! Plus, I can never resist good old fashioned bar food. And the fact they are open late is helpful for those 1 AM cravings...in fact I think I'll have to pick some up on my way home.

Honorable Mention: The Original Pancake House - I know I am only supposed to pick five but I was torn between Buffalo Wild Wings and The Original Pancake House. I chose the wing place because not many people like to eat breakfast when going out, but I have to say something about this little place I discovered the day after we moved to Vegas. There was one down the street from Charming's parents' house and we went there for breakfast after our very long drive from Massachusetts. And Oh. My. Goodness. Can you marry a pancake? Because if so, I would so marry their chocolate chip pancakes in a second. They are that good. Pricey because they make each one to order, but soooooo good! I love breakfast food. I love to eat breakfast food for every meal but breakfast (I like to eat lunch at breakfast...thank my screwed up morning schedule for that lovely turn of events) and these pancakes are a HUGE meal. And so good. Light, fluffy, melt in your mouth good. Did I mention I love the pancakes?

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they have been tagged.

Wanderlusting

Moniker

Anne

London Southern Belle

Carla

I can't wait to see what they all come up with! Also, in trying to choose people to do this meme, I noticed I have a surprisingly low number of bloggers I read regularly that are not from the U.S. I shall have to remedy that. Feel free, even if I did not list you because I could only do five, to do this yourself (like another new blog friend Mel who's blog I have been loving lately.) I would love to see more places I could visit to keep my gullet in shape.

Added Note: I found out the creator of this meme, Nicole Tan, is setting up a blogroll of everyone who has participated. So if you do the restaurant meme make sure to go to Nicole Tan's blog and tell her you completed the meme with a link to your page and then she will add your blog and the places you picked to the list. Talk about a global restaurant guide.


Ear Candy: "Boogie Wonderland" - Brittney Murphy (from Happy Feet)
Eye Candy: Baby Boom
Brain Candy: still Rupert...


When God Closes One Door He Always Opens Another, Even Though Sometimes It's Hell in the Hallway

8 comments:

Lynda said...

We have the last two in Indy, and the omelets are so big, I eat half and Dan has breakfast the next day. And the seafood here in Indy is okay, but definitely not San Francisco fresh, so I know what you are talking about.

Now I want to go to those places!

Kelli said...

Hmmm..I just did my list and between the two of our list I am now starving!

I can almost taste those pancakes.

Nicole said...

Firstly thank you so very much for that message that you did the tag..because of you I manage to find more ppl who did the tag and they didn't link!! It is seriusly getting harder for me to track now!!! If you know of anyone else doing the tag especially the ones you tagged please do let me know and I'll put you guys in the updated list!

Back to the food...BUFALLO WILD WINGS?!! oh my god that must be so great...I wish we have places like this in Sydney!!! and did you just mention that you want to marry a chocalate chip pancake?? I too want to marry it and gobble it down!!!! I'm just drooling thinking about it!

Heidi said...

Ooooh, I like this. Next time I hit Vegas, I can check them out! Awesome!

Mel said...

I love food! And breakfast is my favorite meal! I will have to do this meme, I live in the sticks but there are still so many restuarants around. Hubby is amazed at how many people here eat out all the time, in Canada (he says) people rarely eat out.

You can marry the pancake..I have had my eye on this tempura shrimp for a while now LOL

Anonymous said...

I have to agree Twin Creeks Steakhouse is AMAZING!! I loved it when we ate there!

Jen said...

Yummy! It all sounds good, although I'm not a wings person. I never get enough seafood because The Husband abhors it, so I'm always pleased when someone else gets to enjoy things like lobster, crab, etc... I wanna go to the Italian place.

Anonymous said...

Wooohoo... the buffalo Wild Wings sounds to be a cool place for me to drop by since I love wings. *I belive I can fly~ I believe I can touch the sky* Oh yeah.. they make me sing now~

Half shell sounds great too. So do they serve great calamari? They are my favourite..

Thanks for sharing and doing the tag.

Related Posts with Thumbnails